- Associate Professor
- Director of Endovascular Neurosurgery
Arun Amar, MD, is an associate professor and the Director of Endovascular Neurosurgery at the University of Southern California. He is one of the few board-certified neurosurgeons who have completed fellowship training in interventional neuroradiology as well.
Dr. Amar graduated summa cum laude with distinction in philosophy from Yale University, where he was elected to the phi beta kappa society. He then graduated at the top of his class from the University of California San Francisco, where he earned the MD with Thesis degree based on original research he performed at their renowned Brain Tumor Research Center. Dr. Amar completed neurosurgery residency and fellowship training at USC. Concurrently, he enrolled in the PhD program in Physiology and Biophysics department and was awarded a pre-doctoral fellowship from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
After his training, Dr. Amar was recruited back to Yale as Director of Endovascular Neurosurgery. He subsequently worked as a faculty member at Stanford University before returning to the USC School of Medicine.
Dr. Amar’s research and clinical interests include brain and spinal cord injury, aneurysms and vascular malformations, stroke and cerebrovascular disorders, blood-brain-barrier, brain tumors, vagus nerve stimulation, interventional neuroradiology, vertebroplasty, kyphoplasty, stem cell therapy, and gene therapy. In these and other topics, Dr. Amar has authored numerous publications in the neurosurgical literature. He has also edited books on spinal cord injury and interventional neuroradiology.
Other Professional Distinctions
Selected for inclusion in “America’s Top Surgeons” by the Consumers Research Council of America, Marquis “Who’s Who”, Academic Keys’ “Who's Who in Medicine Higher Education”, Castle Connolly’s “America’s Top Doctors”, and “Best Doctors in America” database.
Clinical Office: 1520 San Pablo St. Suite 3800 Los Angeles, CA 90033 Phone: (323) 442-7512 Fax: (323) 442-5777
Academic Office: 1200 North State Street Suite 3300 Los Angeles, CA 90033 Phone: (323) 226-7421 Fax: (323) 226-7833
- Doctor of Medicine, UCSF School of Medicine, 1993
- LAC+USC Medical Center, Neurological Surgery, 1993 - 1994
- LAC+USC Medical Center, Neurological Surgery, 1994 - 2000
- LAC+USC Medical Center, Interventional Neuroradiology, 2000 - 2003
- American Board of Neurological Surgery
Professional Society Memberships:
- American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Congress of Neurological Surgeons
- Society of University Neurosurgeons
- Society of Endovascular Neurosureons (founder and president)
- AANS / CNS Cerebrovascular Section
- American Heart Association (stroke council)
- America's Top Surgeons by the Consumers Research Council of America
- Marquis Who's Who
- Academic Keys' Who's Who in Medicine Higher Education
- Castle Connolly's America's Top Doctors
- Best Doctors in America database
- 2011 list of America's Top Doctors, compiled by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.