Areas of Treatment:
- Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine
Dr. Garcia is orginally from Mexico and earned his medical degree from Universidad Anahuac in Mexico City. He completed his internship and residency training in internal medicine at the University of Illinois and a fellowship in medical oncology at the University of Southern California. He is board certified in medical oncology.
Dr. Garcia's primary clinical and research interests focus on women's cancers (particularly breast and ovarian cancers) and drug development. He is a member of the Developmental Therapeutics Committee in the Gynecologic Oncology Group, the Breast Cancer Working Group in the Southwest Oncology Group and the Ovarian Cancer Gynecologic Cancer Scientific Steering Committee of the National Cancer Institute.
Dr. Garcia is conducting studies in breast and ovarian cancer, evaluating new agents with novel mechanisms of action. He is also a member of several national and international organizations. His work has been published in various journals, such as the Journal of Clinical Oncology and Gynecologic Oncology. He is a frequent speaker at local, national and international events.
- Doctor of Medicine, Universidad Anahuac, 1988
- Hospital General Regional, Internal Medicine, 1989 - 1990
- University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign, Internal Medicine, 1991 - 1994
- Hospital de Oncologia, Centro Medico Nacional (IMSS), Medical Oncology, 1990 - 1991
- LAC+USC Medical Center, Medical Oncology, 1994 - 1997
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Internal Medicine
- American Board of Internal Medicine: Medical Oncology
Professional Society Memberships:
- American College of Physicians
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- Gynecologic Oncology Group
- European Society of Medical Oncology
- American Society of Breast Diseases
- Sociedad Latinoamericana y del Caribe de Oncologica Medica (SLACOM)
- Fellowship Award for Outstanding Achievement in Cancer Research, USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center/Pharmacia & Upjohn, 1996
- Poster Finalist, ACP Clinical Vignette Competition, Washington, 1993
- Intern of the Year, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1992
- Merit Award, GR 72, Mexico City, 1990