Areas of Treatment:
- Associate Professor of Medicine and Orthopedics
- Program Director for Infectious Diseases Fellowship Program
Dr. Holtom is a long-time member of the faculty of the Keck School of Medicine of USC and maintains a number of integral roles in the Division of Infectious Diseases.
Dr. Holtom remains deeply committed to the educational process, and as such, is the Program Director for the Infectious Diseases Clinical Fellowship Training Program. He also gives approximately 20 pre-clinical lectures each year to the Keck School of Medicine medical students and numerous other lectures to the USC Physician Assistant School. He has recently implemented an innovative expansion of the fellowship program. Interested fellows can now pursue extended training in clinical and translational research, in preparation for academic careers.
Further, Dr. Holtom serves as the Hospital Epidemiologist for LAC+USC Medical Center, Chair of the Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee for the Hospital, and Director of the Jeanette Wilkins Memorial Microbiology Laboratory, both at LAC+USC Medical Center.
In conjunction with the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at USC, Dr. Holtom has accumulated extensive clinical and investigative background in the evaluation and management of bone and joint infections. Generated from this, Dr. Holtom has produced substantial body of publications in both the Orthopaedic and Infectious Diseases literature. In this process, he has emerged as a leading authority on the subject and served recently as the President of the Musculoskeletal Infection Society.
Finally, as a product of his clinical experience serving the residents of Saipan in the U.S. Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands during his service in the National Health Service Corps (NHSC), Dr. Holtom maintains interest and certification in Tropical Medicine.
- California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA, B.S. (Zoology), 1976
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA, 1980
- Los Angeles County+USC Medical Center (Categorical Medicine), July 1980-June 1981
- LAC+USC Medical Center (Internal Medicine), July 1981 - June 1983
- LAC+USC Medical Center (Infectious Diseases), January 1989 - December 1990
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- Infectious Disease, ABIM
- Certificate of Knowledge in Clinical Tropical Medicine and Travelers Health, ASTMH
Professional Society Memberships:
- Alpha Omega Alpha National Honor Society, University of Southern California, 1989
- Gold Humanism Honor Society, 2006
- American College of Physicians, 1983 - present
- Infectious Disease Society of America, 1990 - present
- Election to Fellow, 2000
- American Society for Microbiology, 1990 - present
- Society for Healthcare Epidemiology of America, 1990 - present Election to Fellow, 2004
- Musculoskeletal Infection Society, 1992 - present
- Chairman, Membership Committee, 1998 - 1999
- Vice-president, 1999 - 2000
- President, 2000 - 2001
- Executive Board Member 2001 - 2003
- American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, 1993 - present
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Southern California, 1989
- MAP-Reader's Digest International Medical Fellowship, 1980
- Attending of the Year Award, LAC+USC Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine: 1994, 1996, 1997, 1998
- Most Supportive Faculty Member, Cardinal Firm, LAC+USC Medical Center, Department of Internal Medicine, 1996
- Outstanding Teacher, USC Family Practice Comprehensive Review, 1996
- Outstanding Service and Teaching Award, LAC+USC Medical Center, Department of Orthopaedics, 1997
- Commencement Speaker, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Physician Assistant Program: 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000
- Outstanding Teacher, USC Keck School of Medicine, Year I: 2002, 2003, 2006
- Outstanding Teacher, USC Keck School of Medicine, Year II: 2006
- Outstanding Teacher, USC Keck School of Medicine, Year IV: 2006
- Keynote Speaker, University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, White Coat Ceremony, 2006
- Nominee, American Association of Medical Colleges Humanism in Medicine Award, 2005
- Kaiser-Permanente Excellence in Teaching Award for the Basic Science Years, USC Keck School of Medicine, 2006
- Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award (Arnold P. Gold Foundation), 2006
- Dr. Holtom was voted a Top Doctor by Pasadena Magazine in 2011.