Areas of Treatment:
- Assistant Professor of Clinical Orthopaedics
- Foot and Ankle Surgery
- Professional Dancers
Dr. Charlton is an assistant professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at the Keck School of Medicine of USC. He specializes in surgery of the foot and ankle. His interests include minimally invasive Achilles tendon repair, where the incision is reduced to approximately one inch. He also has expertise in arthroscopic surgery of the ankle, with particular attention to cartilage injuries. He is recognized for his extensive knowledge in reconstruction of the forefoot, such as hallux valgus (bunions), as well as reconstruction of the hindfoot (flatfoot deformity). Dr. Charlton is a leading clinical expert in treating severe trauma to the lower extremity, including complex fractures of the calcaneus, talus and ankle.
During his fellowship in New York City, Dr. Charlton worked closely with Dr. William Hamilton, surgeon for the New York City Ballet and American Ballet Theater. Through that collaboration, Dr. Charlton fostered his interest in dance medicine and injuries specific to professional ballet dancers.
Dr. Charlton served in the U.S. Navy, receiving numerous awards for safety and patient care and is a recipient of the Navy and Marine Corps Medal with Gold Star. He is an active member of several national organizations including the American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society and the International Association for Dance Medicine & Science. He received his medical degree from Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons and completed his fellowship training in foot and ankle surgery at the Hospital for Special Surgery in New York.
- B.S. - St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY, cum laude 1991
- M.D. - Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, New York, NY 1995
- Intern, Department of General Surgery, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Medical Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 1995 - 1996
- Resident, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Medical Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 1996 - 1999
- Chief Resident, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, St. Luke's / Roosevelt Medical Center, Columbia University, New York, NY 1999 - 2000
- Department of Foot and Ankle Surgery, Hospital For Special Surgery, New York, NY 2004 - 2005
- American Board of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Fellow
Professional Society Memberships:
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons - Fellow
- American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society - Member
- International Association of Dance Medicine and Science - Member
- Class President - St. Lawrence University
- Pew Research Fellow Scholarship
- St. Lawrence University Presidential Scholar
- Dr. F.W. Delmage Medical Prize
- Dr. Thomas Dooley Award
- Navy and Marine Corps Medal with Gold Star